Thursday, December 13, 2012

And Then There Were Six.....

Are we crazy....it's really any ones guess, but we got a 2 month old puppy from the Humane Society here in SA, And doing the math, his and Riley's birthdays are pretty close!

Poor Miles was the only dog we had left. We got him as a puppy and he had never been the only dog around, so needless to say he has been lonely! Following us around the house and looking sad and pathetic! Poor guy.

After some discussion Jeff, Riley and I all went to Humane Society....

[ Quick Side Note : I had mentioned to Jeff about taking Riley to have his picture taken with Santa this year. He nixed the idea because "Santa will be just crawling with germs", or something to that effect. I quietly agreed and went on with my day. A week later when the discussion of going to the Humane Society came up, I said we both had to be there to pick out the dog but wondered what we would do with Riley. Jeff was so stoked about the puppy/dog idea he had no qualms what-so-ever with bringing Riley to the animal shelter. A little while later I mentioned the discrepency, and asked if maybe a few years down the line we wouldn't have regrets about not taking Riley to get his pic taken with Santa his first Christmas....he agreed. So tomorrow we go see Santa!]

as soon as we walked into the puppy room there was a cage with 2 brown lab-mix puppies is the first cage we saw. I immediately fell in love, but quickly walked around to the rest of the cages to make sure I saw everyone before making a final decision. And of course these were the cutest ones. There was a boy and girl, and for some reason I told Jeff we should take the boy. He hadn't been neutered yet, so they told us we couldn't pick him up until the following Friday.

This afternoon I stopped by to See him again and ask if there was any way we could bring him home sooner....and low-and-behold he was cleared to be taken him right then. I had an errand to run, but once that was done I immediately went back to pick him up. Didn't have a cage, paperwork or anything.

Good little Coltrane sat in my lap the entire way home (in 5 o'clock traffic none the less).

Of course once we got him home and the reality of a puppy and a 7 week old kicked in...especially when I started wondering what I was going to do when Jeff had to go back to work in a couple of days! Then when Riley started to get fussy and we put Coltrane in his kennel and he started howling loudly I began to freak out! Jeff immediately sent me to the corner store to buy myself some wine....which I obligingly did.

I came home to an empty house with everyone (except Kitty - who had mysteriously disappeared) in the backyard. Apparently Coltrane was howling because he had to go to the bathroom...which he did in the kennel. Jeff noticed when it began to stick and he saw some brown substance on the gate.

By the way - please realize that for now, when I say "kennel", it's actually our cat carrier.

The rest of the night was spent getting Riley for bed, making and eating dinner, and mostly playing with Coltrane in the backyard to wear the poor guy out (which actually worked).

Of course at one point when we brought him inside after playing outside for quite a while, he promptly peed on the bedroom carpet.....why do I see an endless road of cleaning up a lot of pee and poop (human and dog) in my future....

Once we took care of that situation, we slowly coaxed him back into the kennel (he was obviously tired from a big day since he had started to fall asleep on my lap outside).

By 9:00 the house was dark and I was the only one still awake!

Stay tuned for more crazy Lunsford household antics....

No comments:

Post a Comment